The IT Transformation (ITX) Program was tasked with developing and implementing the Penn State Service Management Program, an accepted standard for University service models, processes, and tools that improves the consistency and efficiency of Penn State services. The ITX Program was completed in 2016 when the Service Management Office took over operations of the Service Management Program.
The Penn State Service Management Program
The ITX Program is working to develop and implement the Service Management Program by re-evaluating the University’s existing service models and approach to customer service. VMware, a service management consulting firm, identified diverse Penn State IT units which were selected to create and adopt baselines for University services, processes, and tools. To develop these baselines, VMware and the ITX Program team conducted technical tool evaluations and demos, process workshops, and document reviews with more than 300 Penn State staff.
The initial areas implementing the Service Management Program are Outreach Information Technology (a subunit of Outreach and Online Education), Information Technology Services, Smeal College of Business, Penn State Harrisburg, Penn State York, and the new Office of Information Security. Once implementation is complete, additional Penn State units will be able to subscribe to the Service Management Program through the Service Management Office.
As of October 2015, the ITX Steering Committee has identified the major program components that Penn State units will be able to leverage. The Service Management Program plan is being updated to reflect these components.
The selected components are:
- Service Management Office
- Shared Virtual Service Desk
- IT Portfolios
- End User Service Management Portal
- Asset and Configuration Management
In this Update…
Matt Soccio talks with Richard Dumm from Information Technology Services and Bob Zipf from Outreach Information Technology about their roles as unit coordinators.
The ITX Team
The IT Transformation Steering Committee
The ITX Steering Committee establishes and leads activities for implementing governance, policy, and service implementation elements.
- Ginger Breon • Assistant Dean for Administration and CIO, Smeal College of Business • Member, Early Adopting Unit
- Loren Brewster • Director, Information Technology, Penn State York • Member, Early Adopting Unit
- Adam Caimi • Executive Director of IT, Outreach and Online Education • Member, Pilot Unit
- Richard Coons
- Senior Director of IT, Commonwealth Campuses • Campus Liaison
- Interim Senior Director, Information Technology Services • Member, Early Adopting Unit
- Dr. John Hoh • Campus Technology Officer, Penn State Harrisburg • Member, Early Adopting Unit
The IT Transformation Program Sponsors
The ITX Program Sponsors serve as program champions, making decisions that provide support to program teams and participants.
- Richard Coons • Interim Senior Director, Information Technology Services • Sponsor
- Christy Long • IT Director, Information Technology Services • Sponsor Liaison
- Christopher Lucas • IT Director, ITS Training Services • Training Liaison
The IT Transformation Program Team
The ITX Program team works to facilitate and organize the good work that program participants are doing on a daily basis. Contact the ITX Program team at email@example.com.
- Mark Belkowski • Liaison, Business Relationship Management
- Anthony Cingle • Office of the Vice President for Commonwealth Campuses
- Richard Dumm • Project Manager, Information Technology Services
- Derek Gittler • TLT Liaison/Subunit Project Manager
- Cristol Gregory • Project Manager, IT Transformation
- Tracy Gross • DevOps
- Jonathan Holman • DevOps
- Heather Huntsinger • Training Coordinator
- Deb Johnson • Workshop Coordinator
- Brian Ladrido • Project Coordinator, Tool Procurement
- Mark Linton • Program Architect
- Jennifer McCauley • TNS Liaison/Subunit Project Manager
- Nigel McFarlane • Scrum Master
- Kevin Morgan • Scrum Master
- Michael Naputano • DevOps
- Chris Ritzko • ITSM Coordinator for Office of Information Security
- Matthew Soccio • Business Relationship Specialist
- Jennifer Struble • Communications Specialist
- Lucy Taylor • Administrative Support
- Susan Taylor • Engagements
- Mark Warren • Service Management Content Specialist
- Bob Zipf • ITSM Coordinator for Outreach Information Technology
Experienced in higher education service management, VMware consulted, assessed, and facilitated during the early stages of the program.
- Main contact: Reg Lo, Director, Service Management Transformation